I recently paid a visit to the Big Green Egg headquarters on DeKalb Technology Parkway that overlooks I-85.
The plan was to prepare five dishes — steak, chicken kebabs, salmon, a pizza and a French toast casserole — to experience the versatility of the appliance.
“Anything you cook in your kitchen you can cook on a Big Green Egg,” one of my tutors, Amanda Egidio said as we walked outside to get the fire party started. “Except deep-fried turkey,” tutor Taylor Shulman interjected. Don’t do that, they both agreed.
As we lit four Eggs (yes, four!) Egidio and Shulman tossed out tips and tricks they’ve learned over time. Apparently, there is even an online forum where Eggheads share ideas.
Click here to read more about how best to use your Big Green Egg, including tasty recipes, and scroll down for a recipe for French toast casserole with persimmon compote
- Prepare the Big Green Egg for indirect cooking, using the ConvEGGtor, and stabilize at 375 degrees.
- Grease a Big Green Egg two-handled skillet, or a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish, and place cubed bread into it, filling the skillet or dish entirely.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a bowl. Pour the mixture over the bread and cover. Let soak at least 1 hour, or overnight.
To make the topping, combine the butter, flour, brown sugar, nutmeg and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a food processor. Pulse until combined into a crumble. Add the topping evenly over the bread and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve with syrup or persimmon compote.
For the compote:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the persimmons, vinegar, honey, sugar and lemon juice. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water and cornstarch. Stir it into the saucepan. Reduce to low heat and let cook 10 minutes.
- Stir in crispy bacon. Ladle over French Toast Casserole and serve.
Per serving: 400 calories (percent of calories from fat, 34), 12 grams protein, 54 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams fiber, 15 grams fat (7 grams saturated), 148 milligrams cholesterol, 508 milligrams sodium.
For the compote: Per serving: 81 calories (percent of calories from fat, 12), 2 grams protein, 16 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram fiber, 1 gram fat (trace saturated fat), no cholesterol, 111 milligrams sodium.