Cumming’s Cherry Street Brewing Co-op was named Grand National Champion by winning three gold medals, one silver medal and two bronze medals in 2017 U.S. Open Beer Championship.
Its three gold-medal-winning beers were O.A.S.I.S Imperial Stout, Ta Ta Pilsner and Damebier Maple Strong Ale.
Carving out a craft beer niche in Cumming’s Vickery Village, Cherry Street Brewing is the creation of brewer Nick Tanner, in partnership with his restaurateur dad, Rick Tanner. The small brewhouse produces a stunning array of styles for the cozy Cherry Street Taproom, which keeps 25 different beers on draft, along with guest taps, craft cocktails, whiskey and wine lists, and bar snacks.
Dow Scoggins, the director of the U.S. Open Beer Championship, is from Georgia, and founded Helenboch in 1990, Georgia’s first craft brewery and craft beer.
More than 6,000 beers representing over 100 different styles were entered the 2017 U.S. Open Beer Championship. The competition includes professional breweries and award-winning home-brewers, with judges from England, Canada and the United States. The complete list of winners can be found at U.S. Open Winners List.
Other Georgia beers winning 2017 U.S. Open medals
Silver – Blood Orange Citrus Breeze – Coastal Empire Beer Co. – Georgia
Bronze – Wookie Down – Sweetwater Brewing – Georgia
Bronze – Haze Craze – Torched Hop Brewing – Georgia
Bronze – Cadence – Reformation Brewery – Georgia
Bronze – Scattered Sun – Southbound Brewing – Georgia
Top 10 U.S. Open Breweries 2017
1. Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative – Cumming, Georgia
2. Black Tooth Brewing – Sheridan, Wyoming
3. Lynnwood Brewing Concern – Raleigh, North Carolina
4. Cigar City Brewing – Tampa Bay, Florida
5. Ecliptic Brewing – Portland, Oregon
6. La Quinta Brewing – La Quinta, Texas
7. Appalachian Mountain Brewing – Boone, North Carolina
8. Guadalupe Brewing – New Braunfels, Texas
9. Revelry Brewing – Charleston, South Carolina
10. Cameron’s Brewing – Oakville, Ontario
10. Straub Brewing – St Marys, Pennsylvania