2016 was a big year for beer in Georgia. Among other things, MillerCoors took a majority stake in Athens-based Terrapin and Brick Store Pub joined the Knighthood of the Brewers’ Paddle.
2017 is shaping up to be just as — if not more — exciting, with several new projects set to make their debuts. Check out what to watch for in the year to come:
- Athens-based Creature Comforts — brewers of the wildly popular Tropicalia — is expanding with a new Athens brewery in a new location.
- The team behind Hop City is set to open Barleygarden Kitchen in the Avalon complex in Alpharetta, along with a chef-driven menu from Kevin Ouzts, who the project snagged after Ouzts’ The Cockentrice closed at Krog Street Market.
- Fox Bros. and Terrapin are joining forces to bring a new taproom and brewery to The Battery adjacent to SunTrust Park, the soon-to-be new home of the Braves in Cobb County.
- Monday Night Brewing announced it will build a second brewery focusing on barrel-aged and sour beers that will be located in a new complex under construction on the BeltLine’s Southwest corridor.
- Chase Medlin, the longtime brewer at Twain’s Brewpub in Decatur, is set to debut a new craft brewery, Locomotion Brewing Co., in Chamblee.
- Former Stone brewmaster Mitch Steele is developing a new craft brewery and brewpub, which will be located on the Beltline and Ralph McGill Blvd.
Want to know what else is coming? Stay on top of all the top metro Atlanta beer news by following AJC beer writer Bob Townsend’s Beer Town column.